Saturday, September 6, 2008

White Water Wonderful

Last year when I graduated from law school B got me a very scary gift. I don't mean scary for me, I mean scary for her. She got me a white water rafting gift certificate for 1. Yep, for only one person, hoping with all her might that I would either go by myself or drag someone else along. Well, it was her lucky day when I decided that I finally wanted to use the gift, and surprise, surprise I wanted HER to go with me.

So last weekend we woke up really early, drove north for 1.5 hours and arrived at the rustic base camp before 9am. The day was gorgeous and warm and there were no clouds in the sky (a gigantic feat for the eastern skies). We gathered our gear, including wet suit tops because we are chickens, and boarded the bus that would take us even farther into the middle of nowhere. We got a SHORT safety lesson from the guides (aka possible sperm donors) and we were off! I know this first picture doesn't look much like rafting, but, luckily there was some swimming involved too!


This is a rock that sticks out of the water 12 feet. We were all given the opportunity to climb out of the boat, scale up the side of it and jump off. B and I jumped off together and got the river up our noses. What a blast!






Our guide:



We didn't get any pictures of the rapids b/c it's kind of hard to grab the camera when you are paddling and hanging on for your life. We had a few moments like that. I even fell out of the raft at one point. Too bad we don't have a picture of that. B was more scared than I was.

The hardest part of the day was getting off the couch later that night. We were so sore from paddling and balancing our behinds on the very firm raft that we vowed to never get out of bed once we got ourselves there.

Journal of an expert catergory 3 rafter
B: "In the Spring we are doing category 4" yeah, right

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"We were all given the opportunity to climb out of the boat, scale up the side of it and jump off. B and I jumped off together and got the river up our noses."

How fun! There is something spectacularly more meaningful about pre-wedding adventures :)

Butch Jamie said...

I heart white water rafting!

Are you guys really looking for a sperm donor??

Anonymous said...

Looks like such a fun adventure! You two are as cute as ever!